Coach benches leading scorer in 82-73 home loss to Ohio

The Ball State men
The Ball State men

Ball State team statistics

Field goal percentage - 42.9

3-point percentage - 40.7

Free-throw percentage - 70

Rebounds - 27

Steals - 6

Blocks - 2

Assists - 15

Turnovers - 12

Ohio hit 13 3-pointers and shot over 60 percent from the field on Jan. 21 en route to an 82-73 victory over the Ball State men’s basketball team at Worthen Arena.

“Generally speaking, [guarding the 3-point shot] is something we do very well,” James Whitford, Ball State’s head coach, said.

The Bobcats, who entered shooting .311 percent from long-range, began their 3-point barrage early, with their first four baskets coming from behind the arc.

Redshirt senior Javarez Willis scored a game-high 27 points, hitting 7-of-9 from deep, while finishing with six assists. Willis’ running mate, senior Stevie Taylor, finished with 18 points on 7-of-8 from the field, making all three of his 3-point attempts.

“I think I got myself ready to play today,” Willis said. “I was just determined. I didn’t wanna lose tonight.”

Ball State’s normal starting point guard and leading scorer, sophomore Zavier Turner, didn’t start and didn’t receive any game action.

“It was my decision on what was in the best interest of our program,” Whitford said “Where we go from here, that’s to be determined.”

With Turner on the bench, freshman Francis Kiapway got the start and finished with a team-high 19 points on 7-of-13 from the field. Redshirt junior Jeremiah Davis handled the majority of the point guard duties, registering seven assists and 12 points.

Turner’s absence proved crucial, specifically during a 14-6 Bobcat run late in the first half that was sparked by Cardinal turnovers. Ball State finished with 12 turnovers, 10 coming in the first half.

“If we would have not turned the ball over that stretch in the first half, I thought despite their shooting, it would have been anyone’s game,” Whitford said.

Ball State junior Bo Calhoun had a game-high 10 rebounds for Ball State, who was outrebounded 31-27. Calhoun also finished with 11 points. Freshman Sean Sellers added 16 points.

With its third consecutive loss, Ball State falls to 7-9 on the season and 2-3 in the Mid-American Conference.

“It’s definitely frustrating,” Sellers said. “We’re a young team and we’re obviously going to be frustrated, because we feel like we’ve let a couple games slip away.”

Turner’s status for the team's home contest on Jan. 24 against Kent State is unknown.