Second half dooms Cardinals in loss to Falcons

Sophomore guard Zavier Turner prepares to try and block a player during the game against Indiana State on Dec. 6 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

It was a tale of two halves for the Ball State men’s basketball team in a 58-46 loss at Bowling Green Saturday.

After taking a 27-23 lead into halftime, the Cardinals were outscored by sixteen in the second half.

Sophomore point guard Zavier Turner led Ball State with 14 points, who shot 17-of-52 from the field as a team. The Cardinals shot 30.4 percent from beyond the arc, hitting seven of their 23 three-point attempts.

Defensively, Ball State held Bowling Green to 18-of-48 from the field and 3-of-18 from three.

The Falcons controlled the boards, out-rebounding the Cardinals 39-35. Fifth-year senior Matt Kamieniecki led Ball State with 11 rebounds, while junior Bo Calhoun grabbed 10.

Ball State struggled from the free-throw line, shooting 5-of-13, compared to Bowling Green’s 19-of-26.

With its second consecutive loss, Ball State falls to 7-8 on the season and 2-2 in Mid-American Conference play.

Ball State returns to action Jan. 21 against Ohio at Worthen Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.