Ball State upsets Akron 77-73, improves to 5-1 in MAC play

Junior forward Nathalie Fontaine looks for an open teammate during the game against Western Michigan on Jan. 10 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Ball State team statistics

Field goal percentage - 48.3

Three-point percentage - 33.3

Free-throw percentage - 70.0

Rebounds - 32

Assists - 21

Turnovers - 22

Blocks - 4

Steals - 11

Bench points - 27

Led by leading scorer Nathalie Fontaine's 25 points and impressive play from the bench, the Ball State women's basketball team defeated Akron 77-73 on the road Jan. 21.

The Cardinals have struggled on the road this season at 1-5 coming into the game against the Zips, who owned a 14-2 record coming in. Fontaine has also had road struggles, averaging 11 points per game. 

"She came out a little slow but once she got going, she got going," head coach Brady Sallee said. "Hopefully she can build off this performance because its still early and we have a long way to get to where we want to be."

The bench also played a major role in the victory, pouring in 27 points while Akron was unable to get any points from its bench. Sophomore Shelby Merder had a breakout performance in a reserve role, scoring 14 points while missing only one field goal the entire game. 

"Shelby was amazing today and really was on fire with her shots, it was great to see her play the way she did today," Sallee said.

The Cardinals finished the game shooting 48.3 percent from the floor. They also hit seven 3-pointers as a team and made 14-of-20 from the free-throw line.

Ball State controlled the game until late in the second half when Akron made a comeback and took a small lead. The Cardinals would fight back however, outscoring the Zips 9-3 in the final two and a half minutes to walk away with the victory.

"We played in control for most of the game but made a few too many mistakes in a row and almost gave it up," Sallee said. "Luckily we pulled it together and took this big win, now we just have to build off it."

The Cardinals are once again over .500 on the season with the victory, moving to 9-8. They are now tied with Ohio for the best record in the Mid-American Conference at 5-1.