A cappella group places third at collegiate competition

<p>Members of SedOctave stop for a picture during their competition Saturday. SedOctave placed third at the first ICCA Midwest Quarterfinal competition. PHOTO COURTESTY OF SEDOCTAVE </p>

Members of SedOctave stop for a picture during their competition Saturday. SedOctave placed third at the first ICCA Midwest Quarterfinal competition. PHOTO COURTESTY OF SEDOCTAVE 

The Results:

No Comment- University of Illinois: 408 points

Huskie Hunks- Northern Illinois University: 344 points

SedOctave- Ball State University: 339 points

When the 18-member a cappella group, SedOctave heard they received third at the first ICCA Midwest Quarterfinal competition, they jumped in the air and screamed. But they knew it wasn’t just a win for their fledgling group, it was one for Ball State too.

Ball State officially recognized the Association of Collegiate A capella (ACA) and its groups last semester. And while Note to Self and Ladies’ Choice A Cappella attended quarterfinals last year, the four organizations had never traveled together.

On campus, some ACA members wouldn’t know if they’d passed a fellow performer, but at the University of Chicago, everyone came together, said Michaela Upchurch, a sophomore music education major and member of Ladies’ Choice A Cappella and SedOctave.

“We really got to know each other and meet the new people that we didn’t really know that were in different groups,” said Upchurch.

SedOctave formed last semester and contains many members like Upchurch and junior music education major, Samantha Doub, who perform in other groups.

Because of this, Upchurch said SedOctave members didn’t have as much time to bond as a group.

On Saturday, Doub, a member of Ladies’ Choice as well, said that all changed.

“I felt like there was a great connection on stage,” she said. “And one that I hadn’t really felt before as a group.”

The highlight of their performance, said Upchurch, came when they performed “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough”.

Out of their three songs, SedOctave learned that one last.

“We were all very worried coming back from winter break,” said Upchurch. “We were like, ‘Oh my gosh. We have three weeks to learn a whole new song.’”

Two weeks of practice in and outside of rehearsal and the song “clicked.” Everyone in the group realized it, said Upchurch.

So while the 10 competing a cappella groups waited on stage for the winners to be announced, Doub knew they had a chance of winning. Even though she had sat in the audience as each group performed.

SedOctave landed just five points behind the second place group, Huskie Hunks from Northern Illinois University.

Doub and Upchurch won’t proceed to semifinals in March, but they both feel that ACA has gained something.

A cappella groups from the University of Chicago approached Ball State students throughout the competition.

“Some of the hosts came up to us and multiple times told us that we were the most entertaining [group], and regardless of any technical aspect, we were their favorite,” said Upchurch.