MISS KNOW-IT-ALL: Vote like America depends on it, because it kind of does

<p><em>Lauren Chapman is a senior journalism news and telecommunications major and writes ‘Miss Know-It-All’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily align with those of the newspaper. Write to Lauren at lechapman@bsu.edu.</em></p>

Lauren Chapman is a senior journalism news and telecommunications major and writes ‘Miss Know-It-All’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily align with those of the newspaper. Write to Lauren at lechapman@bsu.edu.

Lauren Chapman is a senior journalism news and telecommunications major and writes ‘Miss Know-It-All’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper. Write to Lauren at lechapman@bsu.edu.

These types of columns happen every election. They’re a little too late to make any difference, because you forgot to register to vote.

At least you’re not alone: Midterm elections get a 40 percent voter turnout rate, so 60 percent of Americans forgot to use their constitutional right to have a say in their government.

National elections get more attention. They’re flashier, with more campaign ads and candidates who are less likely to be your former gym teacher. They also attract 70 percent of eligible voters to the polls.

But midterm elections are more important than federal elections because they impact your daily life.

The Indiana state government affects your public education, your taxes and what parts of the Affordable Care Act impact you. Your local government controls public transportation, the fire department and even your sewer system.

The township trustee determines how much money emergency services receive. The works department affects how many construction projects are started in your town, and how many jobs those projects create.

The officials elected during midterms control your property value, your local taxes, your cost of living.

President Barack Obama doesn’t have that kind of impact on your life.

Democracy only works when every person’s voice is heard. Pew Research says only 19 percent of people trust what the federal government is doing. If you’re not voting, you’re not fixing the problem.

If you’re not using your voice, it could be taken away from you. Voter ID laws across the country are taking away voting rights, primarily targeting minorities and young voters.

According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, a federal appeals court allowed Texas to uphold their strict voter ID laws for 2014. Those same laws are under appeal in the Supreme Court for targeting young and minority voters, people who normally vote for Democrats.

Seven states have strict voter ID laws, including Indiana.

In states with strict voter ID laws, you need a legal government issued identification. People like Texas man Olester McGriff lose their right to vote because of this.

According to the Christian Science Monitor, McGriff brought his birth certificate, his expired driver's license and voter registration card to vote. Even with these pieces of identification, he was denied.

State government enacts these voter ID laws. The officials your individual vote has the most control over are the people who impact your right to vote.

People across the globe fight, protest and even die for the right to have a say in their country. So, register to vote, show up at the polls and use the voice you’ve been given as a citizen.