SOCCER: Cardinals fall in MAC semifinals

Senior midfielder Calley Starck kicks the ball during the soccer game against Moorehead State on Aug. 31 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State soccer team fell to top-seeded Buffalo 1-2 in double overtime in the semifinals of the Mid-American Conference Tournament. 

Ball State came back midway through the second half to tie it 1-1 off a goal from Elaina Musleh, who scored two goals in the quarterfinals. 

The match remained tied with defensive stands and goalkeeper saves becoming the main highlights of the second half. Seven total saves were recorded by the goalkeepers, compared to only three in the first half.

With under three minutes left in the overtime, Buffalo’s Andrea Niper took a long shot at goal and was able to drive it in for the win.

This is the second match this season that Ball State has lost to Buffalo in overtime. 

The Bulls will now go on to face the fifth-seeded Western Michigan Sunday in the championship. 

The Cardinals finished the season with an overall record of 11-7-2 and a 6-5 conference record.