MENS BASKETBALL: Brothers play on same court for 1st time since high school

Freshman guard Jeremie Tyler had 23 points and three rebounds during the game against IU Kokomo on Nov. 17 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTYDN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Heading into Ball State's 101-62 win over IU Kokomo on Monday, freshman Jeremie Tyler wasn't going to go easy against his brother Jerome Campbell.

“I expected him to play good,” Campbell said. "I didn’t expect him to hold up against me, because I didn’t plan on holding back playing him.”

A junior, Campbell is a starting guard for IU Kokomo.

He attended Arsenal Tech High School in Indianapolis with Tyler, which was the last time the brothers had played on the same court prior to Monday. 

The pair played varsity together in high school, starting alongside one another Tyler’s sophomore year.

“It was just fun playing against him,” Tyler said. “Knowing me and him was playing on the same floor again and us having the chance to play college ball was a good feeling.”

Despite both players starting in guard positions, Tyler and Campbell were not matched up on one another for much of the game. Tyler said he wished he could've guarded his brother on more possessions, but that it was head coach James Whitford's decision. 

Tyler started off strong and aggressive, with 16 points in the first half. He went 7-of-12 from the field and 2-of-5 from long range.

Campbell was also efficient to start the game, finishing the first half with six points on 3-of-4 shooting.

Only one player would carry his success into the second half, however, as Tyler added seven more points to finish with a game and career-high 23. 

“He came out and had a good game,” Campbell said. “It feels good that he came in and transitioned to college and stepped up as a freshman.”

Tyler finished the game 10-16 from the field, making three shots from three-point range. He also kept the crowd in the game with three fast-break dunks, the only slams of the game.

Campbell finished with just six points, going 3-of-8 from the field and being held scoreless in the second half.

Despite the lopsided outcome, Tyler and Campbell enjoyed taking part in the experience. 

“That was all our family wanted to see,” Tyler said. “Being able to play in college and having the chance to play against each other."