MEN'S BASKETBALL: Sellers' 26 points not enough as Ball State falls to No. 25 Utah

Freshman forward Sean Sellers drives the ball down the court during the game against Utah on Nov. 14 at the Jon M. Huntsman Center. Ball State lost 90-72. Chris Ayers | The Daily Utah Chronicle

Playing in his first college game, Ball State freshman forward Sean Sellers scored 26 points on eight of 13 from the field. It wouldn’t be enough however, as Ball State dropped its season opener 90-72 at No. 25 Utah.

Utah jumped out to a quick 7-0 lead, forcing Ball State head coach James Whitford to take a timeout less than two minutes into the game.

After falling behind by nine, Sellers put Ball State on the board, making a contested three-pointer. Sellers ended the game hitting four of six three-pointers, while pulling down two rebounds and recording one assist.

Ball State’s offense struggled early, only managing five points through the game’s first five minutes. A three-pointer by freshman Jeremie Tyler made the score 18-8 in favor of Utah.

The Cardinals shot 45.5 percent from behind the arc for the game, making 10-of-22. In a game where its post offense was almost non-existent, Ball State used the three-point shot to stay within striking distance.

Ball State closed the first half on a 10 to four run, cutting Utah’s lead to just 35-30 at the break.

Zavier Turner, last season’s Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year, was two of four from deep for Ball State. He finished with 14 points, but turned the ball over five times without an assist.

The second half was a barrage of fouls, with the officials calling the game very tight. Fifth-year senior Matt Kamieniecki, redshirt sophomore Rocco Belcaster and sophomore Franko House all fouled out for Ball State, who saw Utah shoot 26-of-40 from the free throw line. The Cardinals went to the line just 13 times, making 12.

Despite the foul trouble, Ball State continued to compete, cutting the deficit to 43-40 four minutes into the second half.

It was the closest the Cardinals would get however, as the Utes scored 40 points in the final 12 minutes to run away with an 18-point victory.

Junior guard Brandon Taylor led Utah in scoring with 19, while forward Jordan Loveridge and center Jakob Poeltl each added 18.

Poeltl, a 7-foot freshman, was able to establish position in the post at will, hitting five of seven from the field. He forced Ball State defenders into foul trouble, but struggled at the foul line, going just eight of 16.

Starting in place of injured guard Jeremiah Davis, Tyler led Ball State with four assists. The 6-foot-2 guard finished with 12 points, two rebounds, two blocks and a steal in his first career game.

Utah outrebounded Ball State 35 to 22, with junior forward Bo Calhoun leading Ball State with four boards.

Ball State hosts IU Kokomo at 7 p.m. on Nov. 17.