MEN'S BASKETBALL: Tyler comes out on top of sibling matchup

Freshman guard Jeremie Tyler goes for a lay up during the game against IU Kokomo on Nov. 17 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Competing against a sibling can often bring out the best in an athlete.

For Ball State guard Jeremie Tyler, the matchup against his brother Jerome Campbell and IU Kokomo seemed to do just that, as the freshman scored a game-high 23 points in the Cardinals' 101-62 win.

“I felt really good,” Tyler said. “It was just fun knowing [Jerome] was on the same floor as me. That’s all our families wanted to see … us making it to college and playing against each other.”

Tyler made his mark immediately, scoring the game’s first basket on a hard-drive to his right and then stealing a pass on IU Kokomo’s first possession. He remained aggressive throughout the first half, leading all players with 16 points and 12 field goal attempts at halftime.

Both teams traded buckets early, with the Cardinals holding a slim 21-16 lead eight minutes into the game.

Coming out of the second media timeout, Ball State head coach James Whitford told his team they were on pace to give up more than 80 points. The Cardinals responded, outscoring the Cougars 41-14 to close the first half.

“[Defensively], they buckled up to their credit,” Whitford said. “They realized that’s not who we are, and they just started playing with greater intensity.”

After shooting 42.9 percent from the field in the first half, IU Kokomo was held to 30 percent in the second.

Ball State shot 62.3 percent for the game, going 38-of-61 from the field while totaling 26 assists. Four Cardinals finished with at least four assists, led by sophomore point guard Zavier Turner and freshman forward Sean Sellers each registering six.

“When the ball is really moving, we can score,” Whitford said. “We got guys who can make shots. We can play fast.”

Ball State outscored IU Kokomo 23-2 in fast break points, with many of its opportunities coming through the playmaking abilities of Turner and Sellers.

Sellers followed up his 26-point college debut by scoring 18 points and grabbing eight boards. Junior Bo Calhoun pulled down four boards, while going a perfect 4-4 from the field for a career-high 12 points. The Cardinals outrebounded the Cougars 44-32.

Ball State was also active in the passing lanes, stealing nine passes and tipping several others out of bounds. Tyler finished the game with three steals, while four other Cardinals tallied at least one.

Ball State moves to 1-1 on the season with the win, and even though it came against a NAIA program, Whitford said it’s more about what his team is doing rather than the opponent.

“For us, it’s the first-time [this season] in front of our friends, in front of our families,” Whitford said. “What we’re looking at is not the score, we’re looking at our ability to execute.”

Ball State returns to the court at 1 p.m. on Nov. 22, traveling to take on IUPUI. The last time Ball State faced IUPUI during the 2012-13 season, the Jaguars won 77-68.