FOOTBALL: Turnovers power comeback

Sophomore running back Teddy Williamson goes to recover the ball during the game against Akron on Oct. 25 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State football team’s defense needed a spark coming out of halftime, after allowing 21 points in the first two quarters to an offense that only averaged 22 a game.

Five turnovers will swing momentum pretty quickly.

Ben Ingle, Zack Ryan, Tyree Holder and Eric Patterson all recorded second half interceptions, while Quintin Cooper recovered a muffed punt, clamping down on an offense that gave them fits during the first 30 minutes.

“It’s our players doing their assignments and being in the right spot,” Ryan said. “There’s going to be some luck involved. Five turnovers, that’s a lot.”

Early in the third quarter, Ingle dropped back into coverage and tipped a pass into the air with his right hand. He followed the ball and it fell into his hands as he fell to the ground, forcing Ball State’s first turnover of the game.

With Akron driving just minutes later, Zips quarterback Tommy Woodson had a clean pocket, but underthrew his receiver. Ryan leapt into the air and snared the interception, returning it to the Akron 38-yard line.

Before Akron had a chance to catch its breath, Ball State took the ball away twice.

“It was a great reaction by [Ingle] to get his hand up, and I believe we tipped a couple balls in the game too,” Ball State head coach Pete Lembo said.

The mistakes kept coming for Akron. Leading 21-19, the Zips’ defense forced a punt, expecting to get the ball back. Instead, returner Imani Davis muffed the punt, and Cooper was in position to recover. Two plays later, Ball State quarterback Jack Milas ran into the end zone to give his team a lead it wouldn’t relinquish.

On Akron’s next possession, Ball State blocked a punt and scored another touchdown.

Woodson then began trying to force the ball downfield against a defense that was already making a knack for forcing turnovers on the day.

Holder undercut and jumped a route to Woodson’s left, picking off the pass and returning the ball to the Akron six-yard line.

The Cardinals were taking advantage of a young, inexperienced quarterback who seemed indecisive at times and was trying to do too much.

In his final gasp, Woodson tried forcing a pass to his left, this time intercepted by Patterson, effectively ending the game.

Woodson is Akron’s backup quarterback. Starter Kyle Pohl didn’t play, despite being medically cleared from his concussion suffered two weeks ago.

“Reality is when you get to be a starting quarterback, the ball gets put in your hands,” Akron head coach Terry Bowden said. “There are good things you can do and bad things. Some of the decisions weren’t wise.”

Ball State won the game 35-21, bringing its conference record to 2-2.

Ball State has forced 10 turnovers in its last two games.