MEN'S BASKETBALL: Davis establishes leadership role

<p>JEREMIAH DAVIS III</p>

JEREMIAH DAVIS III

The Ball State men's basketball season doesn't begin until Nov. 14 at Utah, but newcomer Jeremiah Davis is already thinking of putting banners in the rafters of Worthen Arena. 

“Hopefully, we try to get as many wins as we can and win Ball State a championship,” Davis said.

Davis transferred from the University of Cincinnati last year, after a fire burned down his family's home in Muncie.   

After talking with Ball State men's basketball head coach James Whitford, Davis decided to join the team. 

“Coach Whitford is a great person. We both have common goals and common interests," Davis said. "The players are great, and I make sure I show the freshmen how to compete in practice."

Since joining the team last spring, Davis has used his experience from playing at Cincinnati to help establish himself as a leader in practice.

“He worked his tail off all summer," Whitford said. "He’s doing a great job for me.  I couldn’t be more pleased.”

In 27 games as a freshman at Cincinnati, Davis averaged 7.9 minutes per game, contributing to a team that  reached the Sweet 16 in the NCAA Tournament. 

“[Jeremiah] brings leadership and experience, [having played] at the highest level in college basketball at Cincinnati,” freshman Jeremie Tyler said. “Jeremiah comes to practice early every day with a mentality that he’s going to lead a team.”

Sophomore guard Kaleb Mallory has been familiar with Davis' leadership abilities since high school, with both players attending Muncie Central. Mallory was a freshman when Davis was a senior. 

“He brings a competitive nature to practice and tries to lift everybody up,” Mallory said. “He tries to get everyone involved and is really smart with the basketball.”

Davis was named The Star Press Athlete of the Year for high school boy's basketball in 2009-10, averaging 16.3 points, 5.1 rebounds, 3.8 assist and two steals per game.

While he's at Ball State, Davis is determined to be the best teammate he can be. 

“I try to compete every day ... and make everybody better,” Davis said. “I want to get everybody on the same page and be the best leader that I can.”