WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State swept by Miami (OH)

Junior outside hitter Mackenzie Kitchel, senior middle hitter Hayley Benson and junior setter Jenna Spadafora all stand ready to defend the ball from Eastern Michigan at the Oct. 3 volleyball game at Worthen Arena.  DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER
Junior outside hitter Mackenzie Kitchel, senior middle hitter Hayley Benson and junior setter Jenna Spadafora all stand ready to defend the ball from Eastern Michigan at the Oct. 3 volleyball game at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO SAMANTHA BRAMMER

The Ball State women's volleyball team began the second half of its Mid-American Conference schedule with a 3-0 loss to Miami (OH) Friday.

The Cardinals are now 6-3 in MAC play.

All three sets were close, including a 32-30 third set victory for the Redhawks.

Offensively, Ball State finished the match with a .241 attack percentage with 46 kills. 

Redshirt junior Hayley Benson continued her offensive dominance, recording a match-high 15 kills. She finished with an attack percentage of .483 with only one error.

Benson is the two-time defending MAC West Division Player of the Week.

Redshirt freshman Sabrina Mangapora was the only other Cardinal with double-digit kills, posting 10.

Setter Jenna Spadafora had 34 assists to pace the offense.

Miami (OH) finished the match with a .255 attack percentage on 45 kills. 

Ball State recorded nine team blocks in the match.

Benson led the way with six block assists, while Amanda Raker added five assists.

Libero Kati Vasalakis registered 12 digs to lead the team. 

After the loss, Ball State is now 12-10 on the season. 

The Cardinals return to action on Oct. 25, as they travel to take on the Bowling Green Falcons at 7 p.m.