SOCCER: Cardinals win on Senior Day

Sophomore midfielder Chay McNitt runs after the ball during the soccer game against Moorehead State on Aug. 31 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State soccer team dominated Jacksonville State on both sides of the ball Sept. 20, winning 3-1 on Senior Day.

The Cardinals got on the board early, with junior Elaina Musleh scoring from an assist by senior Jasmine Moses in the match's 10th minute.

Ball State took complete control just six minutes later, when sophomore Gabby Veldman scored her team-leading third goal of the season, assisted by sophomore Kelsey Wendlandt.

Jacksonville State got on the board early in the second half, when the Gamecocks’ Kayla Thompson scored at the 51-minute mark.

Jacksonville State wasn’t able to score the rest of the game, and Mid-American Conference defensive player of the week Leah Mattingly sealed the match for Ball State with a goal at the 81st minute.

Ball State finishes its non-conference schedule with a record of 4-1-2.

The Cardinals return to action Sept. 26, when conference rival Bowling Green travels to Muncie for a 5 p. m. match at the Briner Sports Complex.

Ball State leads the overall series with Bowling Green 10-3-3, while winning the last meeting 2-0.

Upcoming Matches

Date: Opponent: Location: Time:
9/26 Bowling Green Muncie, IN 5:00 p.m.
9/28 Eastern Michigan Ypsilanti, MI 1:00 p.m.
10/3 Central Michigan Muncie, IN 5:00 p.m.
10/5 Toledo Muncie, IN 2:00 p.m.
10/10 Ohio Athens, OH 4:00 p.m.
10/12 Kent State Kent, OH 1:00 p.m.
10/17 Western Michigan Muncie, IN 4:00 p.m.
10/19 Northern Illinois Muncie, IN 2:00 p.m.
10/24 Buffalo Buffalo, NY 5:00 p.m.
10/26 Akron Akron, OH 12:00 p.m.
10/30 Miami Muncie, IN 3:00 p.m.