SOCCER: Ball State falls in overtime

Junior midfielder Kaylynn Flanagan attempts to hit the ball during the soccer game against Moorehead State on Aug. 31 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State soccer team concluded its opening weekend of Mid-American Conference play with a 2-1 overtime loss to Eastern Michigan.

“It’s a tough loss, when it looked like a game we should have won,” head coach Craig Roberts said. “The girls played great. We outperformed them stats wise, but in the end it was our missed opportunities that cost us the game.”

Senior Jasmine Moses gave Ball State a 1-0 lead, forcing the Eagles to play from behind early.

The Cardinals more than doubled the Eagles in shots, 23 to 11, but were unable to take advantage of their opportunities.

In the end, it was Eastern Michigan's Bianca Rossi that won the match, scoring her second goal of the night four minutes into overtime. 

With the loss, Ball State falls to 5-2-2 overall and 1-1 in the MAC. Eastern Michigan improves to 6-2-1 overall and 2-0 in the MAC.

Ball State will look to regain momentum on Oct. 3 against Central Michigan. The match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m. at the Briner Sports Complex.