Four candidates for SGA president pro tempore

Four students have been nominated to fill the Student Government Association president pro tempore position after it was left vacant by Bryan Kubel, who took the role of vice president on Sept. 10.

Last week former vice president Carli Hendershot resigned after being hospitalized and diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. 

During Wednesday’s Student Government Association meeting, Kubel said he is excited to have four candidates running.

“I like seeing that there are people willing to step up and who are willing to work with the executive slate to make senate better,” he said. “All four are very qualified.”

At next week’s SGA meeting, the candidates will give a presentation about themselves and their platform points.

According to Senate bylaws, candidates must have completed at least 45 credit hours or three semesters with a minimum 2.7 cumulative grade point average. President pro tempore will receive a stipend equal to two-thirds of in-state tuition, which is nearly $6,000.

Nominees

Jes Wade, a senior telecommunications sales and promotions major, said she is excited to have a second chance to run for pro tempore after she tried last year.

“It would be great to work with this year’s slate,” she said, “they have a lot of great ideas and I’d like to help them expand on them.”

Jacob Cash is a junior marketing major and entrepreneurship and Spanish minor who has been in the senate since his freshman year.

“I want to be a bridge between the SGA senators and the executive board, so things can get done,” he said.

Steven Williams, a junior political science and criminal justice major who is a senator for the organizational caucus.

“I want to see student services from a different side, I’ve been devoted to student services and making student life a lot better through University Program Board,” he said.

Aric Hopper is a senior political science major who is a senator for off campus.

“I’m excited for the opportunity, we have more people running than I expected to,” he said.