Student Government Association passes budget

<p>A failure to pass the $101,188 Student Government Association budget caused the Senate to table the vote Sept. 3.</p>

A failure to pass the $101,188 Student Government Association budget caused the Senate to table the vote Sept. 3.

SGA Budget
Total - $101,188
Rollover - $4,933.71
Student Senate - $3,500
Last year’s allocation - $94,448

SOURCE: SGA budget via Google Drive.

The Student Government Association passed a $101,188 budget for the 2014 to 2015 year.

The final vote was 35 for approval and three for abstentions. According to senate bylaws, the final budget needed to be proposed at the third meeting which was September 10.

“It was encouraging to see that a majority were behind our platform points and what we plan to do with the budget,” said SGA treasurer Sidney Staples.

Matt King, senator at large and member of the governmental affairs committee said the budget was better than what it was last week. 

King voted not to approve the budget at last week’s meeting on Sept. 3. He felt it was not handled properly. 

“That was the first time we had seen the budget,” he said, “From my point of view, I would have liked to talk it over with other students who are not necessarily involved with SGA and see what they think.” 

King said he would have like to have been familiarized with the budget before making a decision. 

President of SGA, Nick Wilkey said the issues regarding the budget were resolved this week. 

“I made a mistake on our end, we thought there was $2,000 in the student senate budget there was actually $3,500,” he said, “it was more of a miscommunication.” 

Part of the student senate budget goes to the Student Government Coalition Conference which SGA hosts Wilkey said. They invite other student governments from universities across the country to discuss and share ideas on student government. 

Another part of the student senate budget is used for discretionary funds. Staples said this can include business cards, name tags and other supplies. The senate also has the option to use the money to organize events. 

SGA will spend $1,000 to cosponsor a bowl bus if the football team makes it that far he said. If not, that money will go to the student senate. 

“I like the idea that they allocated $1,000 if we go to a bowl game,” King said, “I think it’s really nice of the student government to allocate that money for the bus.” 

There was a $4,933.71 rollover from last year’s SGA budget. 

From the rollover, $2000 will be used for the continuation of Countdown 2 Kickoff, an alternative tailgating event for home football games. Part of the rollover will also go to a Daily News advertisement in the Roll Call edition. 

The full budget, legislations, meeting minutes, and other documents can be accessed through the SGA Google Drive which is available to the public.