Papa Johns opens in Atrium

<p><strong>Papa John's</strong> will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. <strong>PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG</strong></p>

Papa John's will open up in the Atrium, replacing Sbarro, Dining announced June 27. The pizza place will offer personal-size pizzas, breadsticks and wings in the Atrium. PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIPEDIA.ORG

After four months of construction, Papa Johns opened a third Muncie location on Ball State's campus today.

“We are very excited. I think it’s going to be a good partnership,” said Jon Lewis, director of Campus Dining Services.

The restaurant was originally planned to be opened by Aug. 18, but Lewis said the university didn't have much control over the timing.

“We are the franchisee, so it’s our operation but we have to negotiate the contract,” Lewis said.

The negotiation of cross-state laws also contributed to the delay since the headquarters is located in Jeffersontown. Kentucky.

“So if you have a company based in, in this case, Kentucky, the governing laws are different than Indiana,” he said. “We have to meet some middle ground as to what law is going to be in charge, or what state law will supersede the other law.”

The on-campus location won't feature as many options as the Wheeling and Madison avenue locations.

Lewis said they will start off selling eight-inch pizzas, wings and breadsticks, but are working with the company to see what other products they can sell from the university shop. 

Logistically, Lewis said the lack of space might limit the pizza chain's operations on campus.

“I think Papa John’s has a good arrangement in terms of equipment in how we can produce the pizzas,” Lewis said. “Unfortunately we’re limited in space, and it’s smaller than it probably should be.”

The new location received its first shipment of ingredients last week while employee training began Wednesday.