SOCCER: Ball State, Navy play to draw

Senior midfielder Calley Starck kicks the ball during the soccer game against Moorehead State on Aug. 31 at the Briner Sports Complex. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Freshman goalkeeper Alyssa Heintschel saw action Sunday for the first time this season, as the Ball State soccer team played Navy to a 1-1 draw to end the Navy Tournament. 

Replacing starting goalkeeper Brooke Dennis at halftime, Heintschel held a Navy squad that already beat a top 25 team in James Madison scoreless for the entire second half and both overtime periods.

Navy, the host team, was looking win the tournament outright in front of its home crowd, while Ball State was attempting to return home undefeated.

Navy struck first, 23 minutes into the first half, when Jade Seabrook hit a header off a free kick to the box from Julie Schumacher.

Ball State answered, scoring in the 36th minute, when junior Kalynn Flanagan scored off a cross from junior Madison Oyer.

The scoring ended there, as both teams were unable to take advantage of several scoring chances, including Navy’s Courtney Mason hitting a ball off the post and Ball State’s Elaina Musleh having a kick sail just over the bar.

The Cardinals move to 3-1-2 on the season, with the draw, and will host Jacksonville State on Sept. 20, at 2 p.m. It will be Ball State's final match before conference play begins. Ball State came away with a 1-0 victory the last time in its last match up against Jacksonville State in 2001.