WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Fuelling takes on new position

Redshirt junior outside hitter Alex Fuelling serves the ball in the match against Western Illinois on Aug. 29 at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

Redshirt junior Alex Fuelling was a First Team All-Mid American Conference outside hitter last season.

Coming from the back row to the net, the 5-foot-11 Fuelling used her offensive instincts to lead the Cardinals in kills with 350, while also boasting the fourth best kills-per-set average, 3.65, in the MAC.

This season, instead of rising up for kills, Fuelling has made the back row her permanent home.

“The transition [to libero] hasn’t been too difficult,” Fuelling said. “Those years when I was hanging outside I was playing back row, it’s just a little different now, rather than getting the kill I’m preventing someone from getting the kill.”

After a slow start to begin the season as an outside hitter, head coach Steve Shondell chose to make the position change.

“It seemed like it was a really good move for us to allow her to really focus on her defense and ball control game, rather than continuing to struggle as an attacker and blocker,” Shondell said.

Fuelling started at the libero position for the first time in her career on Sept. 12 at the HotelRED Invitational, and has started the next six matches in that position.

The lack of experience at libero is something the Decatur, Ind., native laughs over, as her play has been nothing but beneficial to a team that was looking for answers.

Shondell said the transition has been easy for Fuelling, because of her established defensive ability, and her experience in the back row.

“Basically instead of playing that position three times, she’s playing it six times,” he said.

In seven matches since the move, Fuelling has recorded 139 digs, an average of almost 20 per match. She has 205 digs over the course of the season, averaging 3.94 per set.

Fuelling has also been an impact server for Ball State, leading the Cardinals with 14 service aces.

The former transfer said the biggest change has been her overall mindset, as she focuses on defense and stopping the opposing team’s attack.

“I think sometimes I like to overread,” Fuelling said. “Staying disciplined means not trying to do too much, staying deep on the ball, staying low, and just making the plays that I know I can make.”

Last week, Fuelling helped lead Ball State to a 3-1 record, while also being named the MAC West Division Defensive Player of the Week.

She posted match-high totals in digs in all four contests, earning a career-high 24 against IPFW.

“It’s not letting that person score,” she said. “For me that’s competition that I have to come in here with, knowing I’ve got to prevent that person, from letting their ball touch the ground.”

Fuelling will continue to play libero when Ball State begins conference play on Sept. 26, against Western Michigan.