SOCCER: Goalkeeping leads Ball State into another year

<p>Women’s soccer coach Craig Roberts watches over a drill run during practice. In his time at Ball State, Roberts has been able to get international teams from Canada and Haiti on the spring schedule. <strong>Kellan Deam, DN File</strong></p>

Women’s soccer coach Craig Roberts watches over a drill run during practice. In his time at Ball State, Roberts has been able to get international teams from Canada and Haiti on the spring schedule. Kellan Deam, DN File

First three home games:

1) IUPUI (exhibition) at 5 p.m. Saturday

2) IPFW at 5 p.m. Aug. 22

3) Morehead State at 2 p.m. Aug. 31

Returning point leaders:

Player Points Class

Elaina Musleh 11 Junior

Victoria Jacobs 10 Senior

Kelsey Wendlandt 8 Sophomore

The Ball State soccer team will look to build off last season’s success and improve even further in 2014.

The Cardinals finished with an 11-7-4 record in 2013-14, giving the team its highest win total in six years.

The team also reached the Mid-American Conference Championship game for the first time in school history, losing 0-1 against Western Michigan.

A big reason for last year’s accomplishments was the team’s outstanding goalkeeping.

Ball State ranked in the top 50 in the country in save percentage (20th) and goals against average (47th) last season.

Assistant coach Marcie Klebanow works directly with the goalkeepers and is in her third season with the Cardinals. Over the summer, she was selected to participate in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s 30 under 30 program, a year-long education and mentorship program for up-and-coming soccer coaches.

Klebanow also has international experience, leading the United States Girls’ Junior National Team to gold at the Maccabiah Games in Israel.

The soccer team has a new coaching staff member, Ante Cop.

Cop brings years of experience as a player and coach with him. He played a season with the Chicago Riot and the Milwaukee Wave of the Indoor Soccer League. Cop also played and coached for the Rockford Rampage, helping them win the American Indoor Soccer League National Championship in 2009.

Leading the team, Craig Roberts will enter his 5th season as the head coach of the Ball State soccer program.

The Cardinals begin the season Saturday at home in an exhibition game against IUPUI. Last year, Ball State and IUPUI tied 1-1.