Sobriety checkpoint near campus aims to protect drivers

<p><strong>State police</strong> stop cars on New York Ave. near campus looking for drunk drivers. The checkpoint was part of the state's Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign that ends after Labor Day weekend. <em>DN PHOTO CHRISTOPHER STEPHENS</em></p>

State police stop cars on New York Ave. near campus looking for drunk drivers. The checkpoint was part of the state's Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over campaign that ends after Labor Day weekend. DN PHOTO CHRISTOPHER STEPHENS

State and local police stood on New York Street near campus motioning for drivers to pull into a parking lot, stop for two minutes and prove one thing – that they weren't intoxicated.

Police stepped up patrols and worked a sobriety checkpoint to spot DUIs this weekend as the state's "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" campaign comes to an end over Labor Day weekend.

The Indiana State Police have four such "blitz periods" each year when the department focuses on stopping inebriated drivers.

Sgt. Jeffrey Zeiger with the Indiana State Police said at 11:30 p.m. no one had been arrested because of the near-campus checkpoint.

The lack of arrests could be a result of Ball State students warning friends on Facebook and Twitter of the checkpoint and urging them to be safe.

Twelve states have outlawed checkpoints, saying they overstep the guidelines laid out in the Fourth Amendment which prohibits unreasonable search and seizures.

For Zeiger the controversy wasn't important, his job was simple, protect people from drunk drivers.

"We are out to detect and find DUI drivers," he said simply.