MEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Team to host open tryouts on Sept. 8

Head coach Joel Walton talks to his team during a timeout in the match against Ohio State on March 23 at Worthen Arena. The men

Men’s Volleyball walk-on tryouts info:

• Deadline to register: 3 p.m. Friday
  • Participants must contact either...
    • assistant coach Kevin Furnish in HP-386-D or email kfurnish@bsu.edu
    • assistant coach Jim Palilonis in HP-371 or email jrpalilonis@bsu.edu
  • When: 6 a.m.–7:30 a.m. Sept. 8.
  • Where: Worthen Arena 

Ball State men’s volleyball head coach Joel Walton is anxious to get the season started. 

“We’ve got some good pieces that return,” Walton said. “But we’ve got to look to new players in the setting positions and middle positions to have to fill roles.”

He will be looking to new players when the team hosts open tryouts on Sept. 8.

Students will have the opportunity to compete for a walk-on spot on the team’s 2015 roster. 

To be eligible to tryout, students must first speak with an assistant coach, either Kevin Furnish or Jim Palilonis. Students should expect to give personal information, such as student eligibility and identification number, as well as a physical. 

The deadline to sign up for the tryout is 3 p.m. Friday.

With the season beginning in January, any student who makes the team will have ample time to get comfortable. 

“We’ve got this fall semester to train,” Walton said. “We’ve also got some time to plug in our offensive and defensive schemes, and give the guys a good understanding of how we want to play Ball State volleyball.”

In addition to 13 returning players from last year’s team that finished 22-8, the Cardinals have already added several newcomers to the roster, and they are expected to contribute right away. 

Walton said he is excited to see how his combination of veterans and young players mesh.