FOOTBALL: Cardinals attempt to Paint the Town Red

Head coach Pete Lembo walks out with the football team before playing the spring football game on April 19 at Scheumann Stadium. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

While the Ball State football team prepares for its Aug. 30 season opener, the players will turn their tackles into handshakes as they Paint the Town Red.

Presented by Mutual Bank, Paint the Town Red will be from noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday. The event is an opportunity for fans of the Ball State football program to meet the Cardinals’ coaches and players.

This year, members of the team will spread out between three locations: the Canan Commons in downtown Muncie, the southside Walmart at 1501 E. 29th St. and the Yorktown business district and sports complex.

Fans can expect free hot dogs, chips and Pepsi while supplies last at both Canan Commons and Walmart. WLBC will air a live-action broadcast from Canan Commons, while one of the Woof Boom sister stations to WLBC will be at Walmart.

Children that attend the event will be able to partake in a Ball State football poster design contest. The creator of the winning poster will receive a Ball State Cardinals prize pack and will have their poster displayed inside the Fisher Football Complex on Ball State’s campus.

Head coach Pete Lembo will be at the Canan Commons at noon before making his way to the southside Walmart around 1 p.m.