FOOTBALL: Ball State vs. Colgate updates

1st Quarter

At the end of the first quarter, Ball State leads Colgate 10-0.

Ball State started its first drive on the 25, after a touchback, and immediately started running a hurry-up offense. After a six-yard run from Jahwan Edwards and a completion from Ozzie Mann to KeVonn Mabon got Ball State a first down, Colgate forced a punt and took over on its 20-yard line.

Colgate’s halfback, Demetrius Russell, took off for a 16-yard carry on the Raiders' second play, before Ball State forced a punt and took over on its 16-yard line with 11:08 left in the quarter. Cardinal safety Dae’Shaun Hurley was injured on the drive and was helped off the field.

Edwards took a handoff on the second play of the drive for 28 yards, before breaking off a nine-yard carry on the next play, followed by Mann nearly missing Jordan Williams for a potential touchdown. The drive continued after Mann picked up the first down on a quarterback sneak.

Mann would find Mabon to move the chains, and Horactio Banks broke off a 13-yard gain to put Ball State in the red zone. Mann would be hit from behind and fumbled, but it was recovered by Banks on the 27-yard line. With third and 17, Mann found Williams for a short gain, and Scott Secor sent a 38-yard field goal through to give Ball State a 3-0 lead with 6:08 left.

Colgate took the kickoff to the 36-yard line. Colgate quarterback Jake Melville took off on third down, but was chased down by Ball State’s Aaron Taylor to end the drive. Cardinal defensive lineman Keenan Noel was injured and helped off the field. Ball State forced a punt after three plays and took over on the Colgate 12-yard line.

Banks took off on the second play of the drive for a 16-yard gain to the 33 yard line, before a 19-yard gain took him into Colgate territory, and KeVonn Mabon went down with an injury. Edwards ran for a short gain, and after a Mann incompletion, he hit Mabon, who reentered to move the chains.

Mann then hit Mabon who broke a tackle and sprinted down the sideline for the 34-yard touchdown. Secor added the extra point to make it a 10-0 Ball State lead.

Colgate took over on its 20-yard line after a touchback. Melville threw an incomplete pass, rush for no gain before completing a pass for nine yards, bringing up forth and short. Colgate punted, giving Ball State the ball on its 13-yard line.

After a Banks run for a loss of three, the first quarter ended.

2nd Quarter

At halftime, Ball State leads Colgate 20-7.

On the first play of the second quarter, Mann hit Mabon for a first down and the Cardinals picked up an additional 15-yard gain off a personal foul for a late hit. Banks took a short run to the left and receiver Shane Belle went down, and was taken off on a cart.

Banks took off down the sideline for a 30-yard gain to Colgate’s 23 yard line. Ball State added a field goal to 13-0.

Colgate started its next drive on its 25-yard line. On the second play, the snap went high, but Melville recovered on the 12-yard line, forcing third and 24. He completed a short pass to the left, and Colgate punted.

Ball State took over on Colgate’s 41 after the punt. Mabon took in a short reception and Edwards rumbled to the right to bring up third down and short, Mann kept the ball and picked up the first down on the next play.

Mann threw a jump ball up in the endzone, where he was intercepted. The play went under review and the call stood, giving Colgate the ball.

Melville found John Quazza for a gain of 38 yards down the middle to the Cardinals 27 before three straight runs gave Colgate a fourth and two. The Raiders went for it and picked up 11 yards for a first and goal from the nine.

Colgate’s John Travelin scored, cutting Ball State’s lead to 13-7.

Ball State’s Eric Patterson muffed the kickoff, but recovered it on the Ball State 27. Mabon took a quick pitch to the left for a first down and Colgate earned a 15-yard pass interference penalty, putting Ball State in Colgate territory. Mabon hurdled a defender two plays later for another first down, and Edwards powered forward for a nine-yard gain before picking up a first down on the next play.

Mann threw a deep lob to Aaron Hepp in the corner of the end zone for a 19-yard touchdown, expanding Ball State’s lead to 20-7 with 45 seconds left.

After a touchback and penalty, Colgate took over on its 30-yard line. After two runs, the quarter ended.

3rd Quarter

After the third quarter, Ball State leads Colgate 30-7.

Colgate opened the second half off on its own 25-yard line. Melville kept the ball on the first play and ran for 11 yards and a first down. After a rush for no gain and two incomplete passes, Colgate punted and Ball State took over on its 29 after a seven-yard return by Hepp.

Facing a third and one, Edwards hurdled over a defender to pick up just enough yardage for a first down on the Ball State 41-yard line. Mann hit Corey Lacanaria for a first down, but the drive quickly came to halt and Ball State punted. Colgate took over on its 20-yard line.

Facing fourth and one, Ball State stuffed a Colgate run up the middle and took over on the Colgate 29-yard line. Mann connected with Shillings for six yards, and after a three yard run by Edwards, Mann missed tight end Sam Brunner. Secor added another field goal to extend the lead to 23-7.

The Raiders took over on their 23-yard line. Facing third and four, Melville connected with his receiver for a first down to the Colgate 40, but the drive fell apart and Colgate punted. Ball State took over on its 11-yard line.

Banks took the first play of the drive 36 yards for a first down, and Mann hit Shillings for another first down on the Colgate 31-yard line. A 15-yard penalty on Colgate set Ball State up on the 13-yard line. Edwards took the ball down to the four, and then rumbled in for the touchdown. After the extra point, Ball State led 30-7.

Secor’s kickoff went out of bounds, giving Colgate the ball on the Ball State 35-yard line. After two short runs and an incomplete pass, Colgate punted and Ball State took over on its 22-yard line.

Mann hit Mabon for a short gain, and the third quarter ended.

4th Quarter

Ball State defeated Colgate 30-10.

Facing third and eight, Mann had an interception dropped. Ball State punted and Colgate took over on its 31-yard line.

Colgate quickly moved into Ball State territory and faced a third and four from the Ball State 34-yard line. He hit Quazza for a first down, but the drive fell apart and Colgate kicked a field goal, cutting Ball State’s lead to 30-10.

Ball State took over on its 30-yard line. Teddy Williamson entered for the first time and took a handoff to the right for a short gain. A few plays later, Williamson gained 16 yards to the left, putting the ball on the Colgate 28-yard line. A chop block would back Ball State up 15 yards.

Mann found Shillings for a catch down to the 14 yard line and facing third and 10, Mann’s pass was broken up. Secor missed a 31-yard field goal.

Colgate’s possession ended quickly, punting away to Ball State and the Cardinals took over on their 28-yard line.

Ball State’s Darian Green picked up two quick first downs, draining the clock.