City looks to make travel easier when Village Promenade opens

The Muncie Redevelopment Commission is looking to help ease the increase in traffic when Village Promenade opens in August.

Todd Donati, director of the Muncie Redevelopment Commission, said the city is looking to create 50 new parking places surrounding the new structure in addition to the parking garage inside the complex.

He said the commission also is working with MITS to create a new bus route from the Village to the downtown area to run Thursday through Saturday until 2 a.m. However, the deal is still in progress.

“The key here is to give all the extra residents of the Village another place to go without having to drive,” he said.

University Police Department Captain Rhonda Clark said the department will step up enforcement during the first few weeks of school with extra patrols in the area.

However, she said this happens every year and is not related to Village Promenade’s opening.

Do you think you will see more business when the Village Promenade opens?

“Here, we kind of look at it like, yeah there are a lot more students, but there will also be a lot more business to compete with. Just because [students] are in the Village doesn’t mean they will come in.” - Neal Soley, Be Here Now manager

“We are hoping it brings us more customers, of course, that many more people living there will hopefully mean more customers.” - Derek Edwards, White Rabbit owner

“I think we are expecting to be busy, but we also expected more business when we opened. ... But students [walking by] will see the logo and now people don’t walk down here from the bars, but when they live across the street hopefully, they will bring business.” - Sam Faletic, Insomnia Cookies shift manager

“I am actually really excited for more people in the area and the commercial space will hopefully increase business.” - Eric Jones, worker at Pita Pit