BORN IN A BALL JAR: DIY artwork

DIY artwork hangs on the wall after being finished with the steps. PHOTOS PROVIDED BY JORDAN HUFFER

What you will need:

• Art that will allow you to add and remove vinyl letters from it
  • Vinyl letters in any colors
  • Pencil and ruler or tape measurer
  • Acrylic paint
  • A paint brush

Jordan Huffer is a junior photojournalism major and writes ‘Born in a Ball Jar’ for The Daily News. Her views do not necessarily agree with those of the newspaper or The Daily. Write to Jordan at jahuffer@bsu.edu.

We all have quotes or song lyrics that inspire us, and we want to show them off. What better way to do this than by creating a custom artwork featuring the words we love? 

This is an easy project that will have a big effect on your space and state of mind.

1. Plot your design. 

The pack of letters I purchased came with both small and large letters, so I used both of them in my design to get the most I could out of the pack I bought. You might want to try different combinations and use your letters efficiently.

Steps one and two

2. Do a rough cut of your letters and put them on the board in the correct order. This is going to give you a good idea on where to put your marks.

3. Using a ruler, make marks and then lines to use as guides for where you want your letters to go. This will help you get them even.

Steps three and four

4. Put down the letters in the lines you just drew. I tried to make mine as centered as possible, but didn’t even get close. Still, I like the way that it flows. It helps to put a piece of wax paper over top of your letters and further smooth them down with a credit card. This will allow for maximum adhesion.

5. Get a bottle of acrylic paint in a complementary color. I would recommend getting a new bottle, as they are inexpensive and you will likely use it again. Drizzle the paint on the letters, then brush it on carefully.

Steps five and six

6. Continue until the entire surface, including the letters, is covered. Let dry.

Steps seven and finished product

7. Once dry, start peeling the letters off the board. If you have a textured surface like I did you, will get a little bleed, but it’s nothing too noticeable. Then, display your custom artwork proudly.