Ball State tops Kent State behind five homers

Junior Sean Godfrey swings at the Akron pitch during the second game of the Akron double-header on Mar. 23. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

The Ball State baseball team hit five home runs today to take the series opener against Kent State 16-5.

After falling behind 0-2 after the top of the first inning, right fielder Alex Call got the Cardinals on the scoreboard with his first home run of the season in the bottom of the inning. Two batters later, center fielder Sean Godfrey blasted his team-leading ninth home run of the season, a two-run shot, over the wall in left center field.

The score remained 3-2 in favor of Ball State until the bottom of the fifth inning when shortstop Alex Maloney blasted a three-run home run over the left field wall to extend the Cardinals’ lead to 6-2.

Ball State would add four more runs in the sixth, with left fielder Kyle Raleigh joining in on the home run derby with a three-run shot of his own.

The Cardinals’ fifth home run of the game came courtesy of designated hitter Brandon Estep, who launched a grand slam in the bottom of the eighth.

T.J. Weir got the start and the victory on the mound for Ball State. For Weir, it was his seventh win of the season to just two losses.

With the win, Ball State head coach Rich Maloney now needs two wins to become the all-time winningest coach in program history.

Ball State and Kent State will face off again  Saturday  at Ball Diamond. First pitch is scheduled for  1 p.m.