Women's volleyball team travels to Dayton

Junior opposite hitter Kelly Hopkins hits the ball across the net against Central Michigan on Nov. 1 at Worthen Arena. Hopkins had eight kills. DN PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State women’s volleyball team continues its spring slate of exhibition matches Tuesday when it takes on Dayton.

The team has already taken on Purdue, and went to Indianapolis last weekend to participate in the Circle City Spring Tournament.

The spring matches give younger and less experienced players a chance to show head coach Steve Shondell how much they’ve improved over the offseason.

It also gives him a chance to incorporate new plays and different strategies into his offense and defense.

Several starting positions are up for grabs after Ball State graduated five seniors who all played vital roles last season.

Middle blockers Kelly Hopkins, Lauren Gross and Amanda Raker are looking to fill in an empty spot left by Mindy Marx, while Sabrina Magnapora will look to replace some of the lost offense that was provided by outside hitter Kylee Baker.

The match begins at 6 p.m.