Senior running back works to become dual threat

Junior running back Jahwan Edwards attempts to shake an Arkansas State defender Jan. 5 during the GoDaddy Bowl in Mobile, Ala. DN PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

Running backs aren’t typically known for terrorizing defenses with their pass-catching abilities.

But every time Jahwan Edwards sees a pass coming at him, he said he’s going to catch it. 

The senior running back hasn’t just been taking handoffs from multiple quarterbacks during spring practice. He’s been snaring passes and getting ready for an increased role in the passing game when August rolls around. 

He said improving as a pass catcher starts in his mind before traveling to his hands. 

“Any opportunity to get the ball in my hands more, I’m going to embrace it,” Edwards said. “It’s a confidence thing. You have to catch the football. If you believe you’re going to catch it, then you will.”

Last season, Ball State running backs didn’t score a receiving touchdown and accumulated just 10 total receptions. Edwards had seven receptions in 2013, three less than in 2012.

For the past few seasons, Ball State has avoided involving running backs as a receiver during passing plays.

Some of it is attributed to the Cardinals’ recent history of successful receivers Willie Snead, Connor Ryan, Jordan Williams and Jamill Smith. But much of it is Ball State’s offensive system and that could be changing this fall.

With Snead, Smith and Ryan leaving, along with tight end Zane Fakes, Ball State head coach Pete Lembo is looking for ways to evolve his offense.

“[Catching the ball] is probably the area he’s improved the most this spring,” Lembo said. “His knowledge of the system and the fact that he’s a very good receiver has allowed us to do a few more things this spring and look for some different ways to get him the ball, not just handing it off.”

But with a new quarterback at the helm, Edwards could act as a safety valve to relieve pressure when the offensive line is beat.

While running complex routes is an option, many of a running back’s routes require staying within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and being an option for the quarterback to dump the ball in an emergency.

It’s something that has rarely been seen from Ball State over the past few seasons.

Lembo said he hopes Edwards can become a dual threat that keeps defenses guessing. Last season, Edwards finished the season with 14 touchdowns and 1,129 yards, despite missing two games with a concussion. 

He’s spent increased time this spring working on coming out of the backfield to catch passes, to improve chemistry with quarterbacks and to become more comfortable as a receiver.

“I’m at wide receiver or slot, tight end or wherever they want me to be,” Edwards said. “Horactio [Banks] will be in also and we can get as many playmakers on the field as possible.”

He said he doesn’t expect to line up outside of the traditional halfback position much in the fall, not wanting to take chances away from Ball State’s receiving corps. 

During kickoff drills, he will stand on the opposite side and catch the kicks, trying to improve his hands, whatever it takes to ready himself when the lights turn on in the fall.

“I don’t want to blow my opportunity,” Edwards said. “When the ball comes to me, I’ve just got to catch it.”