Play captures story of sisters’ struggles

Junior acting major Jessica Ervin, Hope, and senior acting major Emily Lindberg, Fury, look at a Mother

What: “Hope and Fury” by William Allen Brooks

When: 7:30 tonight through Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday

Where: Cave Theatre

Cost: $6

For its final show, the Cave Theatre cast explores the ability of love to overcome secrets and the barrier of time in William Allen Brooks’ play “Hope and Fury.” 

Sisters Hope and Fury, played by Jessica Ervin and Emily Lindberg, haven’t seen each other in eight years or had contact with each other than two phone calls a year, which are reserved for their birthdays. 

When their mother dies, the two are forced to come together at their childhood home in order to sort through their family’s past. Old rivalries and secrets then resurface as they struggle with mending their relationship. 

Hope and Fury are complete opposites, as their names suggest. 

Hope, the younger of the two, is gleeful on the exterior, though she can be sarcastic and sassy on the inside. 

“One of the struggles that Hope faces is coming back home and facing both her sister and her mother’s death at the same time,” Ervin, a junior acting major, said. “She’s fighting to preserve the past, and she ends up getting stuck.”

Ervin explained that Hope is focused on the past, which Ervin said she can relate to. 

“I am a very memory driven person and will go to lengths to preserve my memories,” she said. “The way [Hope and I] deal with things is probably very similar.”

Opposite of Hope is Fury, whose name describes her emotional nature.

“[Fury] is exploring different ways of dealing with her aggression,” Lindberg, a senior acting major, said. “She doesn’t deal with emotions well, and she is very complicated.”

The aggressive side to her character has presented Lindberg with a challenge, since the anger management technique Lindberg experiments with during the play involves shouting. 

“I’m not the kind of person who likes to scream out her anger,” she said. 

Along with family issues, there comes complications with the ex-boyfriend Chris Johnson, played by Dee Jordan who is a sophomore acting major. Chris makes frequent appearances as the executor for their mother’s estate, bringing up painful memories and even more secrets between the sisters and their dead mother. 

“Chris is a troublemaker, but he’s a good guy with a big heart,” Jordan said. “His heart is in the right place.”

Jordan said he feels as though he can relate to his character. 

“I’m a lover [like Chris] because I’m in love with being in love,” he said. “And a lot of that comes out in this show.”

The show’s director, Bianca DiCarlo who is a junior directing major, said the play is a story about how relationships can have the potential to overcome any obstacle whether it be time, distance, secrets or grudges. 

“Love isn’t conquering — love is mending,” DiCarlo said. “Even when you think a relationship is as far gone as it can possibly be, there’s always hope if there ever was any love there. There’s always hope.”