Campus master plan moves toward August completion

Possible candidates for repurposing or future demolition:

Cooper Science Complex

LaFollette Complex

Noyer Complex

Emens Parking Garage

Carmichael Hall

Future priority:

Creating a walkway, similar to the Cow Path, between Riverside Avenue and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center called the "East Mall"

Ideas for the campus master plan are coming together as it moves closer to completion at the end of August.

Representatives from consulting firm SmithGroupJJR hosted one of the final campus master plan information sessions for about 30 students and a handful of staff and community members Wednesday afternoon. This plan will determine the physical appearance of Ball State as well as its functionality.

Consultants outlined different uses of space in the possible future for Ball State, including parts of campus that may come down.

Cooper Science Complex, LaFollette Complex, Noyer Complex, Emens Parking Garage and Carmichael Hall were all buildings the consultants outlined as potential candidates for repurposing or future demolition.

A future priority is creating a walkway between Riverside Avenue and the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, called the “East Mall.”

Bill Ash, SmithGroupJJR’s design leader, described it as a “hinge point” for Ball State.

“It has come to light just how important this area of campus could be to creating greater connectivity between north campus and old quad,” Ash said. “[This can] create a new place and importantly define this edge with the Village and community.”

Students raised concerns about the fate of the iconic gum tree if the space between Riverside Avenue and the Rec Center is opened up.

“I’m a gum tree proponent,” said Michael Johnson, an urban designer at SmithGroupJJR. “If you were to stand at [the] Rec building and look south, the corridor already exists and perhaps simplifying some of the transportation and making it a more pedestrian focus is something we are excited about.”

Other priorities include utilizing the University Green space, reinvigorating the Quad and establishing an east academic quad.

The plan is currently in the refinement phase, moving into the documentation phase.

“This is our first chance to share draft recommendations,” Johnson said.