BASEBALL: Ball State defeats Indiana Tech, 13-8

Senior Blake Beemer rounds third base during the men’s baseball game against Bowling Green. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

In a game that was competitive early on, the Ball State baseball team was able to defeat Indiana Tech 13-8 today.

Trailing 2-3 heading into the bottom of the third, the Cardinals sent seven hitters to the plate, pushed two runs across and regained the lead.

Freshman first baseman Caleb Stayton’s fourth-inning RBI single made the score 5-3 in favor of Ball State, but Indiana Tech answered with two runs in the fifth and one in the sixth, putting Ball State behind again.

It did not take long for Ball State to answer. In the sixth inning, Ball State scored five runs on six hits to take a 10-6 advantage.

Stayton and freshman center fielder Alex Call led the Cardinals’ offense in the victory. Stayton had three RBIs to go along with two hits as well as three scores. Call managed two hits of his own, and was also able to score a run and two RBIs.

With the win Ball State baseball improved its record to 19-9. The team travels to Northern Kentucky for a 3 p.m. game Wednesday.