FOOTBALL: Pete Lembo couldn't be happier for Rich Skrosky getting head coach job

<p>Rich Skrosky</p>

Rich Skrosky

Ball State will be without its offensive coordinator of three seasons for the GoDaddy Bowl.

Elon University introduced Rich Skrosky as its football head coach Thursday afternoon. Though he’s losing a longtime assistant, Ball State head coach Pete Lembo said he was thrilled for Skrosky getting the job.

“I couldn’t be happier for him,” he said. “I have strong feelings for Elon, and I want to see that program succeed. I was disappointed that things fell off when we left.”

Skrosky said during his introductory news conference, the process took about six days from the initial conversation to the official introduction.

The decision to take the job wasn’t a difficult one for him.

“These opportunities don’t come around every year or every five years,” Skrosky said in a telephone interview. “The irons were hot … and you have to take advantage of that. I owe so much to everyone at Ball State. They’re a big reason why I got this job.”

He returns to Elon after being its offensive coordinator on Lembo’s staff from 2006-10. During his time at Elon, he managed the offense as the Phoenix made its first trip to the Football Championship Series playoffs.

The prior success had at Elon helped Skrosky secure the job.

“It’s so hard to get a head coaching job,” Lembo said. “The fact that Rich was there during our entire five years, and we had a great deal of success there — all those things gave him a leg up when he was in the hunt for the job.”

Ball State is ready to prepare for Arkansas State in the Jan. 5 GoDaddy Bowl without Skrosky. Lembo said the departure won’t be a problem.

The Cardinals will introduce an interim offensive coordinator Monday, he said.

“We always have a plan and contingencies,” Lembo said. “I’m always thinking about the moves we need to make.”

Skrosky said the one difficulty he had leaving Ball State was the upcoming bowl game.

Had Ball State been put in an earlier bowl game, there’s a chance Skrosky would have been able to stick around for it.

He said he doesn’t think his departure will hinder Ball State’s offense in the GoDaddy Bowl, and the decision was something he felt he had to do.

“I just felt this was the right decision to make,” Skrosky said. “This is a great opportunity for me and my family.”