FOOTBALL: Stopping Northern Illinois' Jordan Lynch key to winning

Senior defensive end Jonathan Newsome goes after Kent State University quarterback David Fisher on Oct. 12 at Scheumann Stadium. Newsome will be tasked with defending Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University quarterback Jordan Lynch has terrorized the Mid-American Conference this season as the key force behind the Huskies’ undefeated 2013 record.

Ball State will try to stop both Lynch and his offense tonight.

Lynch has 19 touchdown passes to just five interceptions and 1,871 passing yards, averaging 207.9 per game. Adding to his passing totals, Lynch is third in the MAC in rushing yards per game, with 127.8. He is tied with Ball State’s Jahwan Edwards for 12 touchdowns on the ground.

All in all, Lynch leads the MAC with 335.7 offensive yards per game.

Ball State head coach Pete Lembo predicted defensive coordinator Jay Bateman wouldn’t get much sleep the week before the game.

When asked if he had been getting sleep, Bateman said, “No, but that’s OK.“

Senior cornerback Jeff Garrett said this season’s Northern Illinois team isn’t much different than previous seasons.

“They’re just a good team,“ Garrett said. “Special teams, offense, defense. … They’re just athletic. You just have to stay focused.“

Garrett stressed the importance of consistent tackling against Lynch.

“If he breaks one tackle, he’s gone,“ he said.

Last season, Lynch gashed Ball State’s defense for 220 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 29 carries. He had one 71-yard touchdown run with three minutes remaining in the game.

“We have to rally with all our players and not tackle him one-on-one,” Garrett said. “It’s going to be difficult. He’s a really good player.“

On Oct. 19 against Central Michigan University, Lynch rushed for 316 yards and set the NCAA record for the most single-game rushing yards for a quarterback.

Lembo said one thing he’s impressed with in Lynch’s game is his toughness.

“You watch him take hit after hit after hit, and he just bounces up and lives to play another down,” he said. “For a big, thick guy, he is really fast.”

Senior defensive end Jonathan Newsome said he’s “ready to go“ against the Huskies.

“We have to just make sure that he can’t change the game,“ he said. “We can’t let one player change the game.“

Not only is Lynch one of the top players in the MAC in rushing, he’s the top quarterback in the country in rushing yards. Ranked seventh in the country, surrounded by running backs. Lynch has 1,150 yards.

The next-highest quarterback in the country in rushing yards is Brigham Young University’s Taysom Hill, who is No. 29. There is a 256-yard difference between Lynch and Hill.

“We have to tackle him,” Garrett said.

“We have to tackle him.”