FIELD HOCKEY: Ball State drops game at IU

Bethany Han, a sophomore midfielder, defends against a University of Vermont player Sept. 28 at Briner Sports Complex. Ball State lost to IU on the road Oct. 27 with a score of 6-1. DN FILE PHOTO BREANNA DAUGHERTY

The Ball State field hockey team traveled to Bloomington, Ind., on Sunday to face IU in the final nonconference match of its season.

The Hoosiers beat the Cardinals 6-1 to improve to 9-8 overall with a 1-4 Big Ten record. Ball State sophomore Bethany Han scored the team’s goal in a game that came directly after a home win against Ohio University on Saturday.

“Today, we did not play smart,” head coach Beth Maddox said. “We decided to play as individuals, and it did not go well.”

Indiana was led by Karen Lorite as she struck first in the eighth minute on for a goal off a penalty corner. The Cardinals would answer almost a minute later when Han scored her second goal this season. Sydney Supica would find the back of the net at the 11:25 mark for the Hoosiers and Lorite would score her second goal about 16 minutes later. Audra Heilman, Mariella Grote and Supica later scored the Hoosiers’ second half points.

The Cardinals are still on the bubble for the fourth and final playoff seed for the Mid-American Conference Championship. The Cardinals are 6-11 overall, 1-3 MAC.

Ball State needs to win Sunday against Missouri State University to keep its postseason hopes alive. The team also needs a little help from Ohio University — if Ohio loses and Ball State wins in Missouri, the Cardinals will be in the tournament.

“Luckily, we have a week to prepare for Missouri State,” Maddox said.