CROSS COUNTRY: Ball State travels south for cross country meet

Two weeks after finishing last of eight teams at the Indiana Intercollegiate in Bloomington, the cross country team is looking to rebound with a faster and stronger peformance this weekend.

The Ball State cross country team will travel on Saturday to Kentucky to compete in the Greater Louisville Classic at the Tom Sawyer State Park, after having last weekend off to rest. The park is home of the 2012 NCAA Division I Cross Country Championships.

With three female races scheduled that day, Ball State is set to race the women’s 5k at 11 a.m.

After battling against several of the nation’s excellent programs last season, the Cardinals saw the Greater Louisville Classic as one of their toughest races.

Ball State struggled and came out of the Greater Louisville Classic placing 30th out of 31 teams in one of the team’s weakest meets of the season. The team managed to have five of its scoring runners post an average time of 19:11.02 last year, earning them 870 points and leading them to beat the host Louisville, who took 31st place.

Last year sophomore Katelyn DeVries crossed the finish line as Ball State’s second-best runner with a time of 18:53.01, finishing after the now graduated MaryKate Mellen.

With Mellen gone, Ball State is still looking for a runner to step up and become the team’s new strongest runner.

Also running again for the Cardinals are juniors Courtney and Caitlynn Edon. Courtney Edon finished last season’s meet with a time of 19:15.69 and Caitlynn Edon with a time of 19:58.72.