BASEBALL: Ball State senior anchors pitching staff

Then junior Chris Marangon throws a heat during a match against Indiana Tech on April 3, 2012. Marangon picked up his first career victory during the game. DN FILE PHOTO COREY OHLENKAMP

Ball State’s Chris Marangon doesn’t have an outstanding record. In fact, he’s only 1-1. 

He has just 31 strikeouts in 44 innings, but holds an impressive 2.35 ERA.

He may not have been noticed as much this season because of the sudden emergence of sophomore Scott Baker, and that’s just fine with Marangon.

“It doesn’t matter to me if I don’t end up with another win in the stat column this season,” Marangon said. “All that matters is if I was able to pitch well enough to put our team in the position to get a win.”

Marangon has done it all season, despite the results not showing on his record as he’s continued to fly under the radar.

The senior pitched 6 2/3 innings against a potent Kent State offense and gave up just two runs, but the offense could only muster two runs of its own and Ball State fell 6-2. 

He worked out of numerous jams, often with runners in scoring position and usually ended the inning unscathed.

In the season opener, Marangon pitched 6 1/3 innings and didn’t give up a single run, but the team lost 1-0, wasting another great pitching performance.

It’s been the theme of the year so far for Marangon, pitching well but the relief pitcher losing the game or the offense failing to get a timely hit that head coach Rich Maloney preaches about.

Maloney thinks Marangon’s season so far has been overshadowed by Baker, but it doesn’t mean he hasn’t noticed.

“Marangon has been phenomenal; it’s too bad that he just doesn’t have anything to show for it,” Maloney said. “He could easily have the record that Baker has; we know we’ve got a really solid go-to guy in Chris [Marangon].”

Ball State is averaging just three runs per game when Marangon starts, the worst for any Ball State starter.

By comparison, Baker is getting nearly seven runs per game during his starts, easily the best on the team.

The Friday starter finished last season with a 3.75 ERA, but has been more consistent this season.

Marangon said he understands he can’t control how many runs his team scores when he’s pitching. However, he’s done everything he can over the last year to improve his game to put his team in the best position.

“I’ve evolved quite a bit. My coaches have really helped pick out my weaknesses in my pitching performances and made me a lot better,” Marangon said. “My teammates know what to look for when I’m struggling and I’ll do the same for them.”

The senior is entering his final full month as a Ball State pitcher, and will look to continue the production he’s given Ball State so far this season.