BASEBALL: Ball State sweeps Morehead State

After knocking off Morehead State in game one 4-1, Ball State beat them again 12-2 to sweep the doubleheader.

In game two, Ball State was led by starter Scott Baker, who got his third win of the season to improve his record to 3-0.

The Cardinals got on the board first in the top of the third inning.

With men on second and third base, Cody Campbell hit a hard fly ball that went off the wall and gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead.

T.J. Weir then doubled, extending the lead to three. A few pitched later, Weir was knocked in make the lead 4-0 before Morehead got the final out.

Morehead St. got on the board in the bottom of the third on a soft fly ball to right field by Kane Sweeney, plating their first run. A sacrifice fly later made it 4-2.

In the top of the fourth, Ball State loaded the bases with no outs and Sean Godfrey brought Wes Winkle home on an RBI sacrifice fly. After they extended it to 6-2, Billy Wellman brought in another run on a grounder up the middle. Ball State made it 8-2 on a sacrifice fly a few pitches later.

After loading the bases again in the seventh, Ball State’s Winkle hit a sacrifice to make it 9-2.

Tyler Jordan took over for the Cardinals in the eighth, relieving Baker, who pitched seven innings and got 11 strikeouts, while giving up just two runs.

Ball State tacked on three more runs in the top of the ninth, increasing the score to 12-2.

Cameron Schooley finished off the game for Ball State in the bottom of the ninth, contributing another strikeout for the Cardinals. Ball State struck out 14 batters throughout the game.