WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Coaching key to in-season turnaround

Senior guard Shanee’ Jackson pushes toward the paint during the game against Eastern Michigan in Worthen Arena on Feb. 20. Ball State will play against Central Michigan today. DN FILE PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

After a five-point loss to Valparaiso in the non-conference finale, the Ball State women’s basketball team was sitting at 3-10, on the brink of another disappointing conference season.

First-year coach Brady Sallee had a doubt or two about being able to rebound from a poor non-conference season.

“In my office, I was a little bit nervous about where this thing was going and how we were going to get it turned around,” Sallee said. “Luckily these kids bought in, and we got it going.“

Since that time, Ball State has won 10 of its last 13 games, putting its record at an even .500, something unheard of in mid-January. 

As clichéd as it sounds, Sallee coached his team into focusing on one game at a time.

“For us, it really was about just being 1-0 today,” Sallee said. “Whether we were 3-10 or 10-3. ... We kept coming at them with that mantra.”

Sallee said he hasn’t paid much attention to the Mid-American Conference standings so far.

“We’ve still got three big games left, three senior nights. Including our own,” Sallee said. “We’re going to have our hands full.” 

One of those big games on Sallee’s mind is tonight’s contest at Central Michigan at 7 p.m.

The Cardinals won the first matchup this season, 68-61, in arguably its biggest win of the season so far.

Sophomore Crystal Bradford is leading Central Michigan in scoring with 15 points per game, but she scored just seven on Feb. 7. Ball State held her to just 3-of-20 from the field in the game. 

One Ball State player that won’t be available to play against Central Michigan tonight is freshman point guard Taylor Miller.

Miller got hurt on Feb. 10 against Toledo, and won’t return for the rest of the season. 

In her absence, Brittany Carter has stepped in at the point guard spot when staring point guard Brandy Woody has to rest. Sallee also said Lyzz Smith’s minutes have increased due to the injury.

With the experience of 116 appearances throughout her collegiate career, senior Shanee’ Jackson wasn’t worried when sitting at the 3-10 mark.

“We all knew coming into MAC play that we’re going to be 0-0,” Jackson said. “We all know what our goal is and what we’re working toward.”

Senior day isn’t until Sunday against Western Michigan for Jackson, so she’s concentrating on what’s directly in front of her right now.

She has also battled a nagging knee injury over the past couple of years, but she still wants to finish what she started this season.

“It’s kind of just getting used to it and trying to work through it,” Jackson said of her knee. “I don’t wish to hurry up and be done. I first want to accomplish what we have for our goals.“

She said she physically could play more basketball. In fact, Jackson intends to play overseas after she graduates. 

A win against Central Michigan tonight would put her team’s conference record at 11-3 and in sole possession of second place, just behind Toledo.

“[Central Michigan] is going to be a huge game for us, then Sunday it’s probably going to be a little emotional for me,” Jackson said. “But if it’s another win, I’m glad.”