MEN’S BASKETBALL: Ball State hit by injuries

Junior Matt Kamieniecki completes a dunk during the game against Eastern Michigan Saturday. Kamieniecki injured his back during the game. DN PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

Matt Kamieniecki bent slightly at the waist, clearly favoring his back as he walked gingerly to the bench for a timeout late in Saturday’s game. 

The junior forward’s most recent flare-up had him looking like an old man in need of his walker. 

After a first-half charge caused tension in his back, Kamieniecki played only 19 pain-filled minutes in Ball State’s 56-50 loss to Eastern Michigan. 

“He was struggling quite a bit and wasn’t feeling too well out there,” coach Billy Taylor said. “He gave us what he could, which is typical of Kammy. He took a big charge, got us a couple rebounds, but he didn’t necessarily have what he normally has in the tank.”

Considering Ball State’s health issues, the team can’t afford another player in street clothes. 

The Cardinals played Saturday’s game without junior guard Jesse Berry (concussion symptoms), junior forward Tyler Koch (hip) and freshman guard Michael Ramey (illness). 

Taylor said Kamieniecki didn’t practice the two days leading up to Saturday’s game, and he seems to be day-to-day. Berry is still going through mandatory concussion protocol, but Taylor said he’s hopeful to get him back in practice early this week.  

Back problems have plagued Kamieniecki for most of his career, but Ball State’s frontcourt’s has been noticeably better since Kamieniecki got healthy in the beginning half of Mid-American Conference play. 

Before his setback on Saturday, Taylor said Kamieniecki’s durability had improved because of his willingness to tone it back in practice. 

“Kammy has done a great job of picking his spots more in practice,” Taylor said. “He’s the type of player who just brings it. He doesn’t think about pain and injuries, he’s going to play as hard as he can. It’s part of what makes him a special player. He’s so tough minded that you can’t tell him he won’t get the offensive rebound. He’ll keep fighting until he gets it.”