Cardinals can be United with SGA slate

This editorial reflects the views of the Daily News and not other organizations affiliated with bsudaily.com.

At issue: Three slates campaign to become next SGA executive board

All of the executive board slates agree that morale in the Student Government Association has been down this year, and one slate seems more capable than the others to unite the senate.

From addressing internal issues to adding shuttle loops on campus, Cardinal United has the skills the university needs at the moment.

Voting for this year’s SGA election takes place today and Tuesday, so the Daily News editorial board invited candidates from Spark, Fusion and Cardinal United to go over platform points and answer questions Sunday. 

Each slate has its own strengths; Spark elaborated on its platform of strengthening relationships between Ball State organizations, and Fusion has big proposals to better students’ experiences, but Cardinal United seemed to have the right balance of attainable goals with long-lasting effects. 

Cardinal United has done extensive research for each of its platform points and has already taken initial steps to implement changes.

Fusion has ambitious ideas for campus, including expanding dining options for students, “supporting” sororities to get housing and expanding Parking Services’ Oops Voucher program, but most of their platforms are just that: ideas without any solid research or in-depth conversations with the proper administrators. 

We think Spark could rise to the occasion if elected, and the slate has useful connections to various organizations, but it has the least amount of SGA experience — two members have no SGA experience at all and presidential candidate Malachi Randolph and vice presidential candidate Chloe Anagnos both have been involved for less than a year.

But SGA needs an executive board that can bring the organization together, who knows the ropes and could put SGA back on the right path. 

Cardinal United has the most student government experience — three out of four of its members has been involved with SGA — and presidential candidate Zeyne Guzeldereli has been involved with SGA since his freshman year and recognizes what needs to improve within the organization. 

As if experience and feasible plans weren’t enough, Cardinal United could undoubtedly handle the responsibility of leading the student body — it already dealt with more stress at the end of its campaign than most executive boards have to deal with while in office. 

Instead of bowing out of the race after the SGA elections board prematurely fined them last week for creating a Twitter account that was used to cyber bully senators, the slate calmly dealt with the controversy with grace and honesty, and was ultimately cleared of any wrongdoing. 

The Daily News editorial board has never seen such a crazy SGA election, and its never seen a slate as qualified for the excutive board as Cardinal United.