Ball State still awaiting national recognition

Senior Jamion Hartley goes up for a kill in the game against Lindenwood Saturday. Hartley ended the match with eight kills. DN FILE PHOTO JORDAN HUFFER

Despite the Ball State’s men’s volleyball team’s success this season, it has yet to garner any national recognition, due to its feeble schedule.

The Cardinals sit atop the Midwestern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association’s conference leader board, as the only remaining unbeaten team in Division I-II.

In this week’s American Volleyball Coaches Association poll, Ball State appeared on none of the 16 voters ballots, including that of Ball State head coach Joel Walton.

“We still don’t have a win over a ranked opponent,” Walton said. “It’s going to take a win over a ranked opponent couple with a good record.”

Not only have the teams the Cardinals have beaten not been ranked, only one has a winning record and collectively scrounged together a 17-35 record. 

Senior outside hitter Jamion Hartley doesn’t place much stake in the national polls, and is more worried about controlling what the team can, and has all season ­— the next opponent in front of them.

“It would be nice [to be ranked] to show teams that we are a threat, but all that matters is that we keep winning,” Hartley said. 

Indiana loves its underdogs; from Rudy to Butler to Milan High School’s Hoosier Hysteria run depicted in “Hoosiers,” and Illinois native senior setter Dan Wichmann is channeling this mindset to Ball State’s season.

“I like being the underdog, not many people know about us,” Wichmann said.

If the Cardinals maintain their undefeated record over the next few weeks, they will relinquish their dark horse label and be on everyone’s radar.

Ball State takes on MIVA foes Grand Canyon, IPFW, No. 9 Ohio State, No. 13 Lewis and Loyola (Ill.).

Clearly a victory over Ohio State or Lewis would constitute a marquee victory the voters look for when filling out their ballots, but Grand Canyon and Loyola (Ill.) represent formidable challenges as well.

Grand Canyon took a set from No. 4 Stanford and captured three of the six sets it played against Lewis.

Loyola (Ill.) appeared on two ballots and amassed five points in the national rankings.

Remaining unscathed through this stretch is a daunting idea to say the least, but top-15 rankings are earned, not given.

“It’s something you have got to prove,” Walton said.

MARGE

Upcoming Schedule:

Feb. 9 vs Grand Canyon

Feb. 10 vs Grand Canyon

Feb. 13 vs IPFW

Feb. 17 @ No. 9 Ohio State 

Feb. 22 @ No. 14 Lewis