WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Ball State travels to Buffalo for conference battle

Sophomore guard Brittany Carter attempts to push past Miami for the shot attempt. Her performance has improved since the start of conference play. DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK

After four conference games, Buffalo is in a similar situation as Ball State. After a lackluster 2-11 non-conference stretch, the Bulls have turned it on throughout confernce season, going 3-1 against Mid-American Conference opponents.

Ball State went 2-10 in non-conference games, and currently has a 3-1 conference record after a tough, 59-44 home win over Kent State on Saturday.

The Cardinals will have a chance to make it 4-1 on Wednesday when they travel to New York to take on the Bulls.

Rachael Gregory has set the pace this season for Buffalo. She has averaged 10.7 points per game, and has scored almost 30 more points than the next-highest player on the team.

Gregory is more of a volume shooter, though. She’s averaging just 34.3 percent from the field, but has taken 35 more shots than anybody else on the team. She’s also missed almost half of her 100 free throw attempts.

Sophomore Brittany Carter has upped her game during conference play, averaging 13.3 points per game during the MAC games. Carter has also averaged five 3-pointers per game in conference play. She set a season high in points in Ball State’s first conference game on Jan. 10.

Buffalo beat Ball State last season in Worthern Arena, 61-37. It was Ball State’s lowest-scoring effort of the season. It shot just 20.4 percent throughout the game, the lowest it would shoot all season.

Shanee’ Jackson led Ball State with nine points in the contest. She hit two 3-pointers in the loss.

Buffalo went on a three-game winning streak to start MAC play, winning contests against Northern Illinois, Ohio and Kent State. It’s most recent game was a loss at Toledo.