WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals cap 2-0 road trip with another five set win

DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK Senior Kara Bates attempts to dig out the Kent State attack on Oct. 12. Coach Steve Shondell has promised a longer rest, which will benefit players like Bates who have been pushed this season.

The script was strangely similar for Ball State against Buffalo. It just ended much easier for the Cardinals.

Ball State improved to .500 in the Mid-American Conference with a close five set win (25-20, 25-16, 24-26, 20-25, 15-8) over Buffalo on Saturday.

After jumping out to a quick two set advantage, Ball State failed to close out the match again, losing the next two sets similar to its win over Toledo on Thursday.

The final set against Buffalo was a little less dramatic as Ball State jumped out to an early lead and never looked back.

“It’s always tough to win the first two and drop the next three, especially after working so hard to put yourself in a position to win it,” coach Steve Shondell said after the win. “The last two matches we’ve been able to really compete hard in those fifth [sets] and pull out two really big road wins.”

Shondell said the fifth set was probably the best 15 points his team has played all year. He said the maturity of the team is still growing to learn how to close out matches before the fifth set.

Recently Ball State has struggled with its attack, particularly from its go-to hitters. Senior middle blocker Lisa Scott returned to the level she has played throughout most of the MAC season against Buffalo. She hit .429 on 12 kills and even defended well with a career-high nine digs.

Senior outside hitter Kara Bates posted 19 kills but only hit .150 on the match with 10 errors.

“I just think the season has somewhat taken its toll,” Shondell said. “She’s been on the court all season long. This late in the season, you begin to wear down a little bit. She really stepped up in the fifth game tonight.”

He said the plan is to give his players a break on Mondays for the rest of the season with no practice.

Shondell said the road has been daunting for MAC teams this season and being at home should help Ball State play better against Northern Illinois and Western Michigan, the leaders in the West division.

But it was the defense that controlled the tempo for Ball State. The Cardinals out-blocked the Bulls 13-11 and posted 87 digs total for the match.

Ball State is now one match up on Eastern Michigan and firmly holding onto a MAC tournament berth and only one match away from second place in the West race.

Ball State returns to Muncie to host Western Michigan at 7 p.m. Friday in Worthen Arena.