WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State in control of its own destiny

Cardinals face difficult schedule to close season as it tries to hold onto MAC tournament berth

DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK Junior Catie Fredrich attempts the dig against Eastern Michigan Oct. 6. The next four games will affect not only MAC West standing but also will determine whether or not they are tournament qualified.

If Ball State somehow misses the Mid-American Conference tournament, it will only have itself to blame.

With four matches remaining, Ball State just needs to keep pace with Eastern Michigan and Miami, Ohio, in the conference standings. Depending on how the rest of the season ends, Ball State could finish anywhere from second place in the MAC West Division to completely out of the tournament picture.

“We have as good a shot as anyone to finish second,” coach SteveShondell said. “If we can go out and win all four of these matches, we’re going to finish second. It’s right there in front of our nose.”

Ball State plays all three teams that lead the MAC West Division — Western Michigan, Northern Illinois and Central Michigan — in the final four matches. If the Cardinals can win two of those three matches, the team could make a real run for the better seeding in the tournament.

But the Cardinals will play four teams it has already lost to in a four-match stretch earlier in the conference schedule. Ball State struggled in its road trip against Northern Illinois and MAC West leader Western Michigan. At home, it dropped two close matches with Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan.

Shondell said a big difference for Ball State is the ability to play both Western Michigan and Northern Illinois at home this weekend. Ball State is returning from a 3-1 road trip and nearly pulled out a perfect trip after having match point on Miami.

“I just think it goes back to how much we’ve improved since we’ve played those teams,” Shondell said. “I’m sure everyone wants to feel like they’ve improved quite a bit, but I really believe we have.”

Despite the difficult schedule to end the year, senior outside hitter Kara Bates said she wouldn’t want it any other way.

“We’re already preparing for the MAC tournament,” Bates said. “I think that we are in a really good position because we are going to be force to play these good teams.”

Shondell said any one of the eight teams that will get in could win it this year, which is a product of the MAC’s parity.

The road getting there still has its challenges.

“We know we have a tough road ahead,” Shondell said. “But we’ve had a tough road for the last two weeks in playing four road matches. Road victories the past month in this league haven’t come very easy; most of the home teams have been winning as of late.”