WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: North Texas too much for Ball State

Cardinals swept in three sets against 6-1 Mean Green

Maybe it was a match that was too early for Ball State.

After playing its best match of the year, Ball State (3-3) fell flat in a 10 a.m. bout with North Texas (6-1) in three sets (25-14, 25-23, 25-20).

Ball State struggled immediately in the first set after an early 6-0 deficit. Coach Steve Shondell said the ball control the team used so well to beat Georgia State on Friday just wasn't there.

"It was like a light switched off from [Friday]," Shondell said. "We played a great match and came out the next morning apparently feeling too good about how we played [on Friday]. We just didn't come out ready to play this morning and it showed in our ball control early."

No Ball State players reached double digit kills in the match. Senior middle blocker Lisa Scott led the team with nine kills.

Junior setter Jacqui Seidel finished with another double-double against North Texas. Her 13 digs and 26 assists led Ball State.

North Texas outblocked Ball State eight to five.

The Cardinals battled back in the second set before a service error cost them. Ball State committed three service errors while North Texas had eight service aces against Ball State.

"As good as we were last night, we were every bit as bad this morning," Shondell said.

Ball State doesn't have much time to recover. The Cardinals will take on in-state rival IUPUI for a chance to share the tournament title starting at 7 p.m.

Shondell is hoping a loss like the one against North Texas is all the team will need for motivation against IUPUI.

"I think if they're any kind of competitor at all, their performance today will be enough to get them ready to play tonight," Shondell said.

But if Ball State continues to come out flat, Shondell said he will get players in that will be ready to play.