WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals ready to open MAC play

Shondell stresses limiting unforced errors against Toledo

A victory over Pittsburgh, Wright State, and Wyoming in the Ball State Tournament may have been just what the women's volleyball team needed coming into the Mid-American Conference schedule this week.

"I feel like it was a big step for us having that big weekend, because now we are starting conference, and we are going to be at home again," junior libero Catie Fredrich said. "So that will help us be more confident and play well."

Facing the Rockets at home today may be an immense advantage to the Cardinals, because Toledo is 0-3 on the road so far this season.

"We lost to some teams that we probably shouldn't have in the preseason," senior outside hitter Kara Bates said. "We have to do really well during conference play in order to get our ultimate goal of getting to the NCAA Tournament again and getting to the Sweet Sixteen."

Coach Steve Shondell said the confidence from the wins this weekend is what the team will need for the upcoming games.

"Confidence has a lot to do with how you play," Shondell said. "I think us having success over two national powers this past week - against Pittsburgh and Wyoming - gave us that confidence that we have been working hard to achieve."

Shondell said there are still many things his team has to work on heading into the conference schedule.

"We have to continue to work on finding ways to keep our shots in play," he said. "We can't make unforced attacking errors."