WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals cruise to tournament sweep

Ball State beats Wyoming in four sets in return to Worthen Arena

A return home couldn't have come at a better time for Ball State.

Following a disappointing 0-3 weekend in the Northern Colorado Classic, Ball State beat Wyoming (11-3) in four sets (25-14, 19-25, 25-18, 25-23) to cap a 3-0 weekend in the Ball State Tournament. It was the first time Ball State was back in Worthen Arena since Aug. 28.

Senior outside hitter Kara Bates said the team needed to play like this before heading into Mid-American Conference play beginning Thursday.

"We needed that going in," Bates said. "We're peaking at the right point. As much as I hate losing, I think that we're going into conference on a really positive note."

Ball State was dominant in its first two wins over Pittsburgh and Wright State, with each coming in three straight sets. It was the Wyoming match that would be the test for the team, coach Steve Shondell said.

"It's a big time program from a big time conference," Shondell said. "We gained some confidence going into conference play next week."

Ball State almost lost its lead in the fourth set, allowing Wyoming to tie it at 23 all before Wyoming served the ball into the net and junior outside hitter Kylee Baker recorded the final kill.

Shondell said Saturday night's problems closing out had more to do with Wyoming's serving late then anything Ball State was doing wrong.

Bates said playing this well is important for the team, who battled frustration in Northern Colorado. Winning was an easy cure in the Ball State Tournament.

"It's unexplainable," Bates said. "It's almost pathetic how much everyone's mood is completely altered when we're winning and when we're playing well. It's always obviously so good to play back in Worthen, and it feels so good. We worked our butts off this week in practice."

Shondell said the entire team stepped up offensively to give Ball State its best offensive weekend this season.

"We're just hitting smarter, and I think our ball control has improved," Shondell said. "We're passing better, and Jacqui [Seidel] is setting better. We've just reduced our attacking errors that we were making earlier in the year that cost us some games."

Bates led Ball State in kills at 14 along with junior opposite hitter Lauren Grant. Bates also added a season-high 18 digs. Junior setter Jacqui Seidel facilitated Ball State's best offensive attack and capped the weekend with a career high 50 assists and added 16 digs.

Shondell said earlier in the week senior middle blocker Lisa Scott would be a player to watch in the Ball State Tournament. Scott hit .348 against Wyoming and was even better in the two prior matches.

Scott said she's played like this before, but it's the first time Ball State has seen her at this level after transferring from Maryland before this season.

"It's just me finally getting comfortable and getting comfortable with the team," Scott said. "It's still obviously a work in progress, but I think my confidence has a lot to do with it."