WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State wins conference opener in sweep

Cardinals shake off rough start to beat Rockets in straight sets

Ball State got its first win on the Mid-American Conference schedule Thursday night, extending the team's current winning streak.

The team came together after a rocky first set and finished the Rockets in three straight sets (27-25, 25-16, and 25-21).

The first set seemed like another easy victory, though the team started to lose its momentum in the last points of the game when Toledo began making a run.

Ball State finally got a crucial sideout then ended the set with a kill by senior outside hitter Kara Bates.

Bates stayed positive in order to finish out the first set with a victory. Setter Jacqui Seidel targeted Bates outside ending the first set on a kill.

"Kara put the team on her back the first couple of games and showed what she's capable of doing," coach Steve Shondell said.

Bates was the team's go-to hitter in tough parts of the match. She ended up with a .410 hitting percentage and 19 kills on the night.

Junior outside hitter Kylee Baker and middle hitter Lisa Scott added eight kills each. Junior right side hitter Lauren Grant and junior middle Mindy Marx each chipped in seven kills.

The team attacking percentage was .226 after three sets.

"Kylee Baker gave us really good play in the back court," Shondell said.

Baker recorded 13 digs on the night, as did junior libero Catie Fredrich. Baker received 25 serves with Fredrich contributing 20. Both Baker and Fredrich recorded receiving percentages of 1000.

The team made up for their blocking with their defense especially in the backcourt, Shondell said.

Ball State consistently out dug Toledo, ending the game with 10 more digs than the visitors. Baker and Fredrich finished the game with 13 digs apiece. Bates and Seidel each added 9 digs. The Cardinals recorded 9 more digs than the Rockets in the second set and 10 in the last set.

The Cardinals had two blocks compared to the Rocket's 10 blocks. Shondell was impressed with his team's backcourt play and the digs they recorded for the night.

Shondell said typically a team getting out blocked 10-2 doesn't come back with 10 digs more than the opposing team.

"Early in the match they defended our middles well." he said.

Mindy Marx worked to get around the block in the first two sets. Marx started the game off with a tough block by the opposition then later "came to life."

Shondell said that Marx was a key factor in game three.

"Hitting smart and seeing the block will help the girls on the offensive aspect of their game," he added.

Bates said blocking will be something that the team continues to work on as they make their way through the MAC schedule.