WOMEN'S GOLF: Ball State wins Cardinal Classic

Four Cardinal golfers placed in top eight individually

The Ball State women's golf team won the Cardinal Classic on Saturday. The Player's Club field in Yorktown included 11 other schools, including a handful of Mid-American Conference teams.

Coming into the tournament after its fourth place finish at Illinois State, Ball State knew it could do better. The team had to deal with rough adverse weather conditions during the tournament it hosted Saturday.

"The conditions were tough, tougher than we normally see on that course, but we knew that the other 11 teams were dealing with the same thing," sophomore Jenna Hague said.

In addition, the temperature at the event was cooler than normal.

"Normally at this tournament, we're used to warmer nicer weather, this time it was colder and rougher on the players," coach Katherine Mowat said.

When the dust settled however, the Cardinals as a team came out ahead with a composite score of 611 on the 36-hole course - eight strokes ahead of MAC foe Western Michigan.

The lineup for this tournament was composed of senior Zoe Camus, senior captain Autumn Duke, Hague, junior Meghan Perry and junior Sarah Westaway. Freshman Karley Dobis, freshman Brenna Obergfell, junior Mary Welch and sophomore Ashtyn Brown competed as individuals.

Of the five players in the line-up for Ball State, four of them placed in the top eight of the tournament individually. Hague finished second and had to compete in a play-off against Korakot Simsiriwong from Marshall.

"When I went in to that playoff, we had already won as a team and that was the goal," Hague said.

Perry finished in a tie for third just one stroke from the playoff. Duke finished in a three-way tie for fifth and Camus tied for eighth.

Ball State was playing for more than just itself, though. Duke's father had died in a motorcycle accident on Sept. 16. To honor him, the players had black and orange ribbons on their bags and used Harley-Davidson ball-markers.

Next up for the Cardinals is the Hoosier Fall Invitational hosted by Indiana University on Oct. 13 and 14 and then immediately following that, the MAC Tournament Preview hosted by Ohio University on Oct. 15 and 16.